Stay aware of the latest information on the COVID-19 outbreak, available on the WHO website and through your national and local public health authority. COVID-19 is still affecting mostly people in China with some outbreaks in other countries. Most people who become infected experience mild illness and recover, but it can be more severe for others. Take care of your health and protect others by doing the following:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Maintain social distancing and avoid physical contact
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Practice respiratory hygiene
- Protect yourself and others from getting sick
For more info go to:
Highlights from President Ramaphosa’s Address:
1.State of emergency declared according to the Disaster Management Act.
2.Travel ban for incoming visitors from high-risk countries from Wednesday 18 March. This includes China, Iran, Korea, Germany, Italy and Spain (those mentioned in the speech)
3. Visas cancelled already for visitors from high and medium risk countries.
4. SA citizens returning from high-risk countries will be tested with forced quarantine.
5. SA citizens returning from Medium risk countries will be subject to additional screening.
6. Several ports of entry will be closed across all modes of transport.
7. Non-essential international travel for Government banned.
8. Local travel for Government limited.
9. Gatherings of more than 100 people prohibited
10. Mass celebrations and government functions will be cancelled.
11. Small gatherings will attract stringent precautionary measures by organisers.
12. Schools will be closed from 18 March until after Easter weekend. School holiday in June will be one week shorter.
13. All sectors to increase hygiene control, including malls and shopping centres.
14. Government testing and surveillance systems being reviewed.
15. Additional isolation and quarantine venues being sought.
16. Setting up national tracking and reporting system in collaboration with the private sector.
17. Government to start a campaign for general and ongoing hygiene.
18. Additional funding to be allocated to departments dealing with the pandemic.
19. Government command and control to be implemented and meet three times a week.